The Royal Albert Hall Box Office staff are telling people to "check every other day" for tickets for CHESS in concert (with Josh Groban and an all-star cast), which should be available "very soon".
Benny’s band plus singers Helen Sjöholm (she played Kristina in Benny & Björn’s Kristina från Duvemåla) and Tommy Körberg (who played the part of The Russian on the concept album of CHESS, and brought the role to life in London’s West End and also in the more recent Swedish production) are about to be unleashed again on CD!
At this point we know just four song titles for sure Crush On You, Fait accomplit, Bonde söker fru (Farmer seeks wife) and the reported Nu mår år vi mycket bättre (Now We Feel Much Better).
Catalogue Number: MMCD023
Sveriges Radios Symfoniorkester (conducted by Anders Berglund)
- Anders Glenmark
- Fred Johanson
- Josefin Nilsson
- Helena Jonason
- Maria Magdalena Motettkör
- Ljuva sextital, Hej Clown, En Karusell, Hej Gamle Man
- Vår Sista Dans – Helena
- Efter Regnet – Helena and Fred
- Födelsedagsvals till Mona
- The Film I’d Like To See (in Swedish) – Josefin
- One Night in Bangkok – Anders
- Mountain Duet – Anders and Helena
- Anthem – Fred
- Ouvertyr – selections from Kristina från Duvemåla (not in the programme)
- Klinga mina klockor
- The Conducator – Fred
- When I Watch You in Your Sleep – Josefin
- Var hör vi hemma
- Guldet Blev till Sand – Anders
- Du måste finnas – Helena
- Älska mig – Josefin
- Det är vi andå
The encore (on the 6pm Friday concert) was a medley: The Winner Takes It All, Dancing Queen and Thank You For The Music
Many thanks to Steve for the information.
"…he is currently preparing two major-fund-raising events for the Caron Keating Foundation, a comedy spectacular at the London Palladium and a concert performance of CHESS at the Royal Albert Hall."
Hugh Wooldridge – Work In Progress
From the archive: Details very scarce for now, but many thanks to Susan for providing the following information. Josh Groban let slip in a US radio interview with Whoopi Goldberg, (when talking about the Actors’ Fund CHESS performance in New York) that another CHESS concert is planned.
This time it’s hoped it will be in London’s Royal Albert Hall in 2008 and again Josh is lined up to play Anatoly.
October 2007 is the projected release date for the Deluxe Edition of ABBA – The Album, originally released 30 years ago, in 1977.
In line with last year’s Deluxe Edition of Arrival, ABBA – The Album will be extended with six bonus tracks and a DVD of rare and previously unreleased performances and news reports.
The illustrated booklet features an extensive essay on the making of the album. Watch this space for more information and previews later in the year.
Disc 01: CD
- Take A Chance On Me
- One Man, One Woman
- The Name Of The Game
- Move On
- Hole In Your Soul “The Girl With The Golden Hair” – 3 scenes from a mini-musical
- Thank You For The Music
- I Wonder (Departure)
- I’m A Marionette
- Eagle (Single Edit)
- Take A Chance On Me (Live Version; Alternate Mix)
- Thank You For The Music (Doris Day Version)
- Al Andar (Spanish Version of Move On)
- I Wonder (Departure) (Live Version)
- Gracias Por La Música (Spanish Version of Thank You For The Music)
Disc 02: DVD
- Eagle/Thank You For The Music (Star Parade, ZDF)
- Take A Chance On Me (Am Laufenden Band, Radio Bremen)
- The Name Of The Game (ABBA Special, TBS)
- Thank You For The Music (Mike Yarwood’s Christmas Show, BBC)
- Take A Chance On Me (Star Parade, ZDF)
- ABBA on tour in 1977 (Rapport, SVT)
- Recording ABBA – The Album (Gomorron Sverige, SVT)
- ABBA in London, February 1978 (Blue Peter, BBC)
- ABBA in America, May 1978 (Rapport, SVT)
- ABBA – The Album Television Commercial I (UK)
- ABBA – The Album Television Commercial II (AUSTRALIA)
- International Sleeve Gallery
The Stockholm district court ruled March 23 that Seth’s script was not used when the musical Kristina from Duvemala premiered in 1995.
The musical was about Swedes who emigrated to the United States in the 1800s, and was based on a series of books by writer Vilhelm Moberg.
The court further ruled that the former ABBA duo did not have to pay royalties to Seth. In his appeal, Seth maintained that he has right to credits and future royalty payments.
With a planned launch on Broadway a good run there could generate sizeable earnings. Previous efforts to solve the matter out of court have failed.
Seth was contracted in 1991 but Andersson and Ulvaeus said in early 1995 the script was not good enough and had to reworked, hiring director Lars Rudfolfsson and dramaturgist Jan Mark to do that.
The court said Mark and Rudolfsson wrote the version used on stage.
Seth has received some 5 million kronor (700,000 dollars) from productions in Sweden. In 2005, Ulvaeus told a hearing that the payments to Seth were made to get peace and quiet around the musical.
The musical has been translated into English and has the title Kristina.
After ABBA stopped recording and touring, Andersson and Ulvaeus continued to collaborate. They composed the popular musical Chess and have recently scored success with the musical Mamma Mia.