31 October 2010. Please note: This video is currently unavailable. I hope to have it online again soon.
Category Archives: Site news
The year kicked off with the news that icethesite had won ABBA Plaza’s ABBA Site of the Year award for 2008!
ABBA fans didn’t have long to wait until the year started showing real promise as one to remember for fans.
Here are some of the highlights…we had:
- Agnetha and Frida appearing together on stage in Sweden to accept an award on behalf of ABBA
- Mamma Mia! featured at the Oscars
- a brand new design for the official ABBA site
- the 10th anniversary of Mamma Mia! on stage in London with Benny and Björn in attendance
- a new Benny and Björn interview on the Elaine Paige BBC radio show
- Second Best To None – B&B’s song performed by the staff at Benny’s Rival Hotel was released, closely followed by…
- the single Story Of A Heart
- tickets went on sale for Kristina – A Concert Event at Carnegie Hall in New York and a live recording was announced
- icethesite hosted the first ever public viewing of the CHESS In Concert DVD trailer
- ABBA The Museum folded and then we had to get our heads around the concept of ABBAWorld
- ABBA were in the headlines again, when rumours about them covering Michael Jackson’s 50 dates at the O2 Arena started to circulate
- everywhere you turned in the UK, whether it was on TV, radio or in the printed and online media, Benny was being interviewed! (The One Show, the Ken Bruce show, the Steve Wright Show, Friday Night with Jonathan Ross, the Mail, the Telegraph, Metro, Magic 105.4, Radio 4’s Front Row, Europe Today, BBC Breakfast…)
- The Benny Andersson Band played the most incredible concert live on Hampstead Heath
- The Benny Andersson Band’s album Story Of A Heart was released (reaching the Top 30 albums in the UK on the week when the album chart was full of the late Michael Jackson’s albums)
- a huge celebration of the music of ABBA took place in Hyde Park (with Benny and Björn) and attracted 35,000 people
- Benny Anderssons Orkester toured Sweden
- CHESS in Concert – Live at the Royal Albert Hall was released on CD and DVD
- Björn took part in CNN’s series MyCity_MyLife showing off the beauty of Stockholm
- Kristina från Duvemåla (Kristina in Engish) received its English language debut over two nights at New York’s prestigious Carnegie Hall
- Mamma Mia! celebrated 8 years on Broadway
- ABBA in Japan (the long sought after footage – and then some!) was released on DVD
- icethesite broke the news that ABBA were to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
And now here we are, only a few weeks from the end of 2009 and already 2010 is shaping up well!
ABBAWorld opens in London on 27 January and will tour the world, Benny Anderssons Orkester are nominated for a Swedish Grammy, Kristina – Live at Carnegie Hall will be released in the Spring, and whilst BAO won’t tour Sweden, Kristina in concert will play in London and tickets will go on sale for the stage show in Swedish to be performed in Helsinki’s Swedish Theatre, Finland in 2012.
Oh…and two incredibly talented Swedish songwriters are planning to start writing a new musical…
and that a subject has been chosen.
Björn said, to a Danish newspaper: They’re discussing ideas with Catherine Johnson. "One has to admit that this is a team that has functioned together before", he said.
Björn was quick to point out that he can add no more detail at the moment.
Mamma Mia! opens at Tivoli Gardens, Copenhagen on October 15, 2010 (thank you Johnny!).